Monday, August 18, 2008

Anti aging


Products do not work.
.
Period
.
In many cases the 'active ingredient' is so diluted it's actually inactive, or it doesn't even penetrate the skin barrier to be able to make a difference,.

It's difficult to measure because the clinical trials were small scale with vague and subjective measurement criteria rather than any real evaluation of what's happening to the skin, which is scary.

Many claims in advertisements promoting these products were carefully worded and are laughable,
.
Beware creams claiming to have a botox-like effect, because no topical product has been seen to mimic the action of the muscle paralysis treatment.
.
And while antioxidants have shown benefits in the diet, through foods like nuts and berries, their benefits in skin care products were "highly questionable".
.
A good diet, simple moisturiser, abstaining from smoking and avoiding the sun were the most well-proven anti-ageing measures.
.
But people seemed to be bored of hearing this and prefer to spend their money on dreams
.
Anti-cellulite products are also big sellers but independent studies have found that they had no effect.
.
The bottom line is that there is no topical solution and paying more doesn't help, Professor McGrath said at a recent conference in Sydney.
.
"I suggest we need to stop obsessing over youth and just get on with life."
AAP - SMH
.
Amen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shoooooeeeee!!! I beg to differ. I had good, healthy skin but battled breast cancer for a year. Taking care of my skin was the last thing on my mind. When I started up again with my anti aging products again, my skin came back to life. When I run out and use plain old moistuizer, I can see the difference. I also know a scam when I see one

Antony said...

Good to hear that things are working out for you
The blog is drawing attention to the wide variety of products out there, many making claims that are based on dubious research