Sunday, August 07, 2011

Cookie story



This actually did happen to a real person, and the real person was me. 
.
I had gone to catch a train. 
.
This was April 1976, in Cambridge, U.K. 
.
I was a bit early for the train. 
.
I'd gotten the time of the train wrong.
.
I went to get myself a newspaper to do the crossword, and a cup of coffee and a packet of cookies. 
.
I went and sat at a table.
.
I want you to picture the scene. 
.
It's very important that you get this very clear in your mind.
.
Here's the table, newspaper, cup of coffee, packet of cookies. 
.
There's a guy sitting opposite me, perfectly ordinary-looking guy wearing a business suit, carrying a briefcase.
.
It didn't look like he was going to do anything weird. 
.
What he did was this: he suddenly leaned across, picked up the packet of cookies, tore it open, took one out, and ate it.
.
Now this, I have to say, is the sort of thing the British are very bad at dealing with. 
.
There's nothing in our background, upbringing, or education that teaches you how to deal with someone who in broad daylight has just stolen your cookie
.
You know what would happen if this had been South Central Los Angeles. 
.
There would have very quickly been gunfire, helicopters coming in, CNN, you know. . . 
.
But in the end, I did what any red-blooded Englishman would do: 
.
I ignored it. 
.
And I stared at the newspaper, took a sip of coffee, tried to do a clue in the newspaper, couldn't do anything, and thought, what am I going to do?
.
In the end I thought, nothing for it, 
.
I'll just have to go for it, and I tried very hard not to notice the fact that the packet was already mysteriously opened. 
.
I took out a cookie for myself. 
.
I thought, that settled him. 
.
But it hadn't because a moment or two later he did it again. 
.
He took another cookie.
.
Having not mentioned it the first time, it was somehow even harder to raise the subject the second time around. 
.
"Excuse me, I couldn't help but notice . . ." I mean, it doesn't really work.
.
We went through the whole packet like this. 
.
When I say the whole packet, I mean there were only about eight cookies, but it felt like a lifetime. 
.
He took one, I took one, he took one, I took one. 
.
Finally, when we got to the end, he stood up and walked away.
.
Well, we exchanged meaningful looks, then he walked away, and I breathed a sigh of relief and sat back. 
.
A moment or two later the train was coming in, so I tossed back the rest of my coffee, stood up, picked up the newspaper, and underneath the newspaper were my cookies.
.
The thing I like particularly about this story is the sensation that somewhere in England there has been wandering around for the last quarter-century a perfectly ordinary guy who's had the same exact story, only he doesn't have the punch line.
.
(Excerpted from "The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time" by Douglas Adams)

No comments: