Thursday, December 06, 2012

Another approach to healthy living


There are no firm rules because so far there have been few proper human trials.

I found that I could get through my fast days best if I had a light breakfast (scrambled eggs, thin slice of ham, lots of black tea, adding up to about 300 calories).

Lots of water and herbal tea during the day.

Then a light dinner of grilled fish with lots of vegetables at night.
On my feed days I ate what I normally do and felt no need to gorge.
I stuck to this diet for 5 weeks.

During which time I lost nearly a stone and my blood markers, like IGF-1, glucose and cholesterol, improved.

If I can sustain that, it will greatly reduce my risk of contracting age-related diseases like cancer and diabetes.
Current medical opinion is that the benefits of fasting are unproven and until there are more human studies it's better to eat at least 2000 calories a day. 

I was closely monitored throughout and found the 5:2 surprisingly easy. 
I will almost certainly continue doing it, albeit less often. 

Fasting, like eating, is best done in moderation.
Michael Mosley 

No comments: